A couple weeks ago I read The Irresistible Revolution, by Shane Claiborne. This author and other God moments has challenged me to push the box open and see my faith defined as "what I do" not just "what I believe." To check out a review of his book or read a chapter...go to http://www.thesimpleway.org/shane/book.html (Also, check out Pastor Jeff Gilmore's sermon today on James 2, www.ParkviewChurch.org )
Amy Bandy, Jenn's best bud, and I are taking the train up to Chicago this Friday!! We all (Josh & friends) are gonna go to an Audio Adrenaline concert and also hear Shane Claiborne talk at LaSalle Street Church, downtown.
Here's some comments about his book....
"Shane expresses the kind of authentic Christianity that most of us are trying to avoid because the cost is too great. He proposes a lifestyle that prophetically proclaims what it means to be a follower of Jesus in the twenty-first century." -Tony Campolo
"Shane Claiborne is a living experiment - evangelical zeal mixed with grassroots activism; passion for Jesus mixed with prison time for feeding the poor. This is a rant for love, aimed at cowards seeking courage."
- Aiden Enns, publisher, Geez magazine
"If you embark on this journey, you will not only meet a tall, skinny lad named Shane, but you will also meet his homeless friends in Philly, the dying that he cared for in Calcutta, and the children he played with in Baghdad as the bombs fell - all of which raise uncomfortable questions about what it means to follow Jesus. Read this book at your own peril. Shane will challenge you to join the ranks of "ordinary radicals."
- Tom Sine, founder, Mustard Seed Associates
Here's a quote, and a quote within a quote (by Henri Nouwen, one of my favorite reads).....
"When we have new eyes, we can look into the eyes of those we don't even like and see the ONE we love. We can see God's image in everyone we encounter. As Henri Nouwen puts it, "In the face of the oppressed I recognize my own hands. Their flesh is my flesh, their blood is my blood, their pain is my pain, their smile is my smile.
We are made of the same dust. We cry the same tears. No one is beyond redemption. And we are free to imagine a revolution that sets both the oppressed and the oppressors free." p.266
Have a restful Sunday!
peace be with you........
2 comments:
oh man! no fair! I wish I was going with ya! You will have a blast...remember to mosh okay?
I am really pumped mom! I am at the apple store cheaking my mail..have a great one! love ya!
Post a Comment