Monday, October 09, 2006

Thoughts on encouragement...

Encouragement is not doing for someone what they can do for themselves. It is not removing pain from their lives. It is noticing them, feeling with them, and reminding them of the hope we have in Christ as we persevere in our walk with Him.
The encouragement of others helps us move from fear and passivity to belief and action. It is not a panacea for our fears. It doesn't even eliminate them. But it does help us move forward even though we are uncertain.
Encouragement is the word, the note, the look that says, "I am with you. I care about you. You will survive. You can do it!" It is evidence that we are noticed by others in the midst of their own consuming agendas.
Encouragement is God-like. Scripture is full of promises about God's provision for us in times of difficulty. Through the prophet Isaiah, God reassures His people, "So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand" (
Is. 41:10). Years later, Jesus declared to His followers, "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid" (Jn. 14:27).

No comments: