Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Experiencing grace....


God is so patient. Be patient with yourself.
Who are we to decide where we "should" be at this time in our walk and growth? We are so quick to rush out and buy up
self-improvement books on how to be a better version of ourselves. And we try to put into practice those things that we read, and over and over again we fail. At least I do.

Maybe all the reading sets me up to fail? Too often I "should" all over myself. I know I "should" be disciplined, pure, joyful, forgiving, loving, obedient, holy, witnessing to others... We each have our own lists of "should's." But every failure, every false start, every abandonment of specific efforts at being spiritual and victorious, every failure to follow through, every vacillation just drives home more deeply - what a miserable failure I am.
Truly, the law kills.

Where is relief from the awful cycle of failure and self-condemnation? We cannot do the things we think we "should" do because we are still growing. God knows this and he does not condemn us for our failings. "...there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus” Romans 8:1
He knows ALL my "stumps, holes, and other natural imperfections" so much more than I do! He knows I have to grow up, and He is very patient as the process takes place.

Patience is one of the clearest manifestations of God's grace. Initially, He accepts us just as we are, and from then on He models the perfect father, totally loving and accepting us while always urging us to change and grow.

Patience with ourselves can be one of the greatest supports we have in the healing process. Having patience with ourselves removes condemnation - but it does not compromise with sin. Patience does not have to do with the direction in which we are headed, but rather, with how long it is taking us to get there.

Patience does not say, "Well, that's just the way I am." It does not seek to find an acceptable level of sin for me at this point in my walk. God's standard remains absolute perfection, absolute purity.

Patience does not offer a substitute for these standards. It merely forsakes a self-imposed timetable for achieving the standards.
Patience has everything to do with time.

Don’t you see how wonderfully kind, tolerant, and patient God is with you? Does this mean nothing to you? Can’t you see that his kindness is intended to turn you from your sin? Romans 2:4 (NLT)

Yet God has made everything beautiful for its own time. He has planted eternity in the human heart, but even so, people cannot see the whole scope of God’s work from beginning to end. Eccles. 3:11

In that day he will be your sure foundation, providing a rich store of salvation, wisdom, and knowledge. The fear of the Lord will be your treasure. Isaiah 33:6

Embrace and experience His gifts of grace - patience & time - with me today.

2 comments:

Lynn V. Jones said...

thanks Sharon, this speaks to me right now.

Anonymous said...

your welcome lynn...it's what I need to hear too! i miss you.